Earlier this month, 100% Design South Africa, announced its 2018 Design Award Winners at a Gala Awards Evening held at Gallagher Convention Centre. The proceedings took place at the 100% Design Café designed by leading local artisans Houtlander. The evening was attended by a stellar lineup of industry personalities, designers, past winners and 100% Design South Africa exhibitors. The crowd was kept entertained into the night by design savvy journalists and DJ’s Zanele Kumalo and Zodwa Kumalo-Valentine.
The winners of the 100% Design Awards were chosen by an independent panel of 10 members including:
- Publishing editors
- Members of the media
The 2018 judging panel included:
- Tiaan Nagel of House and Leisure
- Ntombehle Shezi of Elle Decoration
- Sumien Brink and Annemarie Meintjies of Visi
- Leana Schoeman of the Sunday Times
- Debbie Loots of Real Life Magazine
- Zanele Kumalo of Media24
- Industrial designer Richard Sparks
- Aiwekhoe Iyahen of Luxe Noir
- Daniel van der Merwe of the PPC Imaginarium
The judging process took place throughout the day on Wednesday 8 August 2018 and was facilitated and audited by Angus Campbell, Head of the Department of Industrial Design at the University of Johannesburg. The awards were judged in the following categories:
- South African Designer of the Year – An annual award that seeks to recognise a designer who displays excellence in their field with regards to concept, quality and design.
- Best Furniture Design – The judges were looking for a stylish piece of functional furniture from the residential, office or hospitality sector, whether local or international. This needed to be a new design from the last two years.
- Best Product Design – An original design that shows intelligence and consideration in terms of material use.
- Best Lighting Design – The judges were on the hunt for an electrical lighting solution, whether local or international, which showed style and innovation. Energy-saving considerations, although not a pre-requisite, were a bonus.
- Best Textile Design, awarded in memory of Julian Gelb – An award that recognises excellence in fabric design.
- Best Surface Design – Here, the criteria are style and/or innovation in wallpapers, wall treatments, wall coverings, fitted carpets, rugs, floor coverings, tiles or 3D-printed surfaces.
- Best Stand Design – This award seeks to recognise a stand design that is eye-catching and promotes visitor interaction and engagement. The stand should add to the overall aesthetic and experience of 100% Design South Africa.
- Best of 100% Talent – An award to recognise an emerging design talent.
The 2018 award-winners are as follows:
- Best Lighting Design
- Winner: Joe Paine for his The Stilt Light
- Surface Design
- Winner: SMTNG GOOD for throws
- Best Textile Design
- Winner: lulasclan
- Best of 100% New Talent
- Winner: Ben Orkin for his Nebnikro Ceramic Vessels
- Best Office Design
- Winner: 100% Office by Alice Hutton
- Best Product Design
- Winner: Mother City Hardware for their Kitchen Island
- Best Furniture Design
- Winner: Kino for both cabinets, the Heildronk Kas and the Neut Drinks Cabinet
- Best Stand Design
- Winner: Yudu
- Designer of the Year
- Winner: Houtlander
According to 100% Design South Africa Programme Director Cathy O’Clery: “The 100% Design Awards are a way for designers to be recognised for their achievements and a way for us to highlight standout work, as well as encourage an ever-increasing standard across the board, year on year.”
Held alongside Decorex Joburg, 100% Design South Africa showcases the very best of local product design alongside top international brands.