Craig Taylor from leading bathroom accessory and heated towel rail suppliers, Bathroom Butler, offers us an overview on the impressive benefits of choosing bathroom accessories made from Grade 304 stainless steel.
When it comes to choosing your accessories for your bathroom, something that may not be top of mind is the material that it is made from. However, the choice of material is something that you need to seriously consider. So says Craig Taylor from Bathroom Butler, who goes on to add: “Grade 304 stainless steel is by far the optimum choice of material for any bathroom fitting or fixture. It might cost a little extra, but its many benefits really make it a worthwhile choice. It is not only a practical choice, but since it is 100% recyclable, it is also very eco-friendly to boot.”
Craig explains that since its inception, Bathroom Butler has been one step ahead of the market with its determined focus on offering only the best quality possible: “We couldn’t honestly say that we offer the best quality bathroom accessories and heated towel rails on the market if they weren’t all made from Grade 304 stainless steel – simply put, it is by far the best material for this kind of application.”
Stainless steel was invented over 100 years ago, when it was discovered that adding Chromium to ordinary steel made the steel stain- and corrosion-resistant. “What’s especially interesting about stainless steel as a material however, is that its corrosion- and stain-resistant qualities are natural properties, meaning that it doesn’t need an extra plated coating,” explains Craig. He notes that there are over 50 different grades of stainless steel available, but that for bathroom fittings and fixtures, Grade 304 stainless steel is by far the optimum choice. He offers an overview on why:
- Unrivalled aesthetic appeal: Grade 304 stainless steel offers an unparalleled timeless aesthetic that will compliment virtually any bathroom style. It is also very versatile since it is available in both the conventional matt, brushed finish, as well as a high-gloss polished finished. The brilliant shine of the polished finish makes it highly desirable, while the more common brushed finish offers practical benefits for products that require more grip, such as grab rails for example.
- No coating required: Unlike chrome-plated bathroom accessories and fixtures, Grade 304 stainless steel is naturally corrosive- and stain-resistant – meaning that it doesn’t require any added protective coating. And since it is one material throughout, it means that it will never flake, peel, chip or rust. It also guarantees excellent surface reliability – as such, if the surface of the product is scratched, the overall integrity of the product remains unaffected.
- Durable and strong: Grade 304 stainless steel is a strong and highly durable material that will last a lifetime if well taken care of, as it doesn’t scratch, dent or break easily.
- Self-repairing protective layer: Stainless steel has a unique feature: it is self-healing. It does this via its amazing ability to form a thin, transparent “passive layer” of Chromium Oxide on its surface. Even if the stainless steel surface is scratched or otherwise damaged, this passive layer, which is only a few atoms thick, reforms under the influence of oxygen which is naturally present in the air we breathe. This explains why Grade 304 stainless steel does not require coating or other corrosion protection to stay bright and shiny even after decades of use.
- 100% recyclable: Stainless steel is one of the few materials that can claim to be 100% recyclable, which means that it can be completely melted down and made into another product without needing to add any virgin material. It can be recycled over and over again, without loss of quality or durability. This greatly reduces any product’s overall carbon footprint, as the material it is made from can be re-used time and again. This in turn negates the need to mine for more resources, which leads to copious amounts of energy being saved and greatly reduces CO2 emissions.
- A hygienic choice: Stainless steel is an incredibly hygienic material – it is non-porous, it does not corrode, nor does it collect bacteria or algae, which makes it ideal for any bathroom space. Furthermore, it is really easy to keep clean and sterilised.
- Low maintenance: To maintain a perfect finish on your Grade 304 stainless steel, all you are required to do is to wipe your product down with a warm damp cloth, and then buff it dry with a clean dry cloth – it is as simple as that. Dust particles contain contaminants, and if they are allowed to settle on any product for long enough, they will eventually cause marks to form. These marks can be removed, however, it will take the right equipment and a lot of elbow grease – so remember that prevention is always better than the cure – so wipe your product down regularly.
Cleaning and maintenance tips for Grade 304 stainless steel:
- Metal polish can be used to remove light scratches or blemishes.
- Never use tile grout cleaner on your stainless steel, as it will cause brown marks that are almost impossible to remove. If you are retiling your bathroom – it is always better to remove any stainless steel fittings or fixtures beforehand, and only re-install them once the grout has been applied, wiped down and it has dried.
- Never scour the surface with steel wool.
- Avoid any household detergents that contain Chlorine as this can affect the surface finish of your stainless steel product.